March Madness is now April Whoopin’ Gladness in Connecticut. The UConn Women proved they’re in a league of their own last night, as they trounced Notre Dame by a score of 79-58 to win the NCAA basketball title.
Models of perfection:
• The Huskies finished 39-0 in the regular season and now they’re 40-0. Actually they’re 46-0, counting the six games they won at the end of last year, including last year’s NCAA title. In the fall they can continue their streak.
• UConn women now have a record nine NCAA championships.
• This marks the fifth undefeated season for UConn.
• Coach Geno Auriemma now has the most all-time titles (9), breaking longtime rival Pat Summitt’s record. He’s never lost in a championship game.
• This is the second time UConn men and women’s basketball teams won the NCAA titles in the same year. Connecticut is the only school to accomplish this feat.
Quite a coup and quite a legacy, for any team, in any sport, anywhere, ever.